Location: Balcombe train station
Grid Reference: TQ306302(OS Map)
OS Map: Explorer 134 Crawley and Horsham
Distance: 9 miles
Time: 4-5 hours
Information Available: West Sussex County Council (01273 481654)
Directions/Transport: 1. Exit Balcombe Railway Station via the steps up to the road. Turn L along the road and then R up Bramble Hill into Balcombe village (signposted to the Tea Rooms). Turn R into the road opposite the Tea Rooms and just past the Victory Hall, then R along tarmac footpath. Continue straight ahead through recreation ground and then houses
2. Cross Newlands Road into the field and keep the wood to your left, continue straight ahead until you reach the stile in the corner of the field situated between two oak trees. Turn L and cross the railway (with extreme caution!) and follow through the garden and the drive to the main road
3. Turn L and then cross road to stile opposite ( Take Care When Crossing!). Follow through wooded area and then across grass field down to the wood. Climb over stile and bridge and follow footpath signs up and over the hill
4. Follow footpath in line with three oaks and turn R to follow lane and then L at pond. Along Whitethroat Lane to Spicers Farm
5. At the White House pond, keep L and follow the drive all the way through to the end and
6. continue straight down small flight of steps to Brantridge Lane. Turn L and follow road. At this point you can turn R for a short cut rejoining walk at 11 (6 mile walk). At the road junction veer R. After passing the church keep to the right over open space to a red telephone box
7. turn R up track to the stream.
8. At this point you may wish to turn L to Nymans Gardens and Handcross where you should cross field diagonally (the hard track is not the route) to the stile in the field corner and descend a flight of steps, over bridge and veer R along a sandy track. Follow the red discs carefully through the wood. On your return, retrace your steps through the wood but at field continue straight ahead to stile, then through field to exit onto track via gate. Veer R onto drive to join at 9. Continue straight ahead up track and turn R
9. Before farm, turn R through small gate and L after next gate. Continue ahead around field edge to stile. Turn L and then along wooded path into wooded valley. Follow footpath signs R and L at valley bottom, climb over footbridge
10. At stile continue towards impressive Neo William and Mary House, (now a school), keeping hedgerow/ fence to your right. Climb stile onto drive. Turn R at junction to school drive
11. To left of school entrance cross road carefully and straight over stile to follow signs into the valley. Climb down steps and across footbridge. Continue ahead through fields keeping fence and woods on left
12. Continue ahead over large field with superb views to your right ( Weald landscape towards South Downs) and then veer to R keeping pond to your left. Follow footpath to corner of field by white cottage and over stile onto small lane. Turn L downhill
13. At cottage at bottom of hill, either turn R off lane and up steps to Balcombe station or continue L along lane to Bramble Hill and Balcombe Village.
Bus Information: 272, Burgess Hill to Crawley, 0915hrs, Mon-Fri Phone traveline for further information 0870 6082 608
Train Information: Balcombe station on the London to Brighton line. Trains every half hour Mon-Sat, hourly Sun. For further information phone 08457 484950
Car Park Information: No public car parks. Please park sensibly in local villages.
Guide: Free leaflet - Trails by Rail - a guide to 8 circular walks from train stations in the High Weald and South Downs.
Waymarking: Metal High Weald circular walk waymarking discs
Services: Balcombe: shop, tea room & Half Moon pub. Handcross: shops, the Red Lion, The Fountain Inn and the Royal Oak pubs and National Trust restaurant and shop at Nymans Gardens. Staplefield: The Victory Inn pub.
Download: High Weald Landscape Trail - West Sussex Circular Walks (2.69 MB)