Location: Buxted train station
Grid Reference: TQ497234(OS Map)
OS Map: Explorer 135 Ashdown Forest
Distance: 7 miles
Time: 4 hours
Information Available: East Sussex CountyCouncil Countryside Management Service (01273 481654)
Directions/Transport: 1. past St. Mary's Church and oast house. Fork L along footpath on rough track past St. Margaret's Cottage where track ends - cross stile and head for far L field corner. Turn L over railway bridge
2. and bear slightly L downhill to footbridge over stream, then across next field to another stream (on R). Cross stile in field corner - continue with stream now on L to Fowly Lane
3. here turn L over bridge and R along footpath which starts beside gate to Willow Lodge - follow path through copse and across pasture with striking sandstone outcrops on L. Beyond footbridge go straight ahead with stream on L (ignoring second footbridge on L) and continue through three fields to track, where you turn L out to lane
4. Turn R on lane, past Maypole Inn and then L along Perryman's Lane. At bottom of hill cross stream and go L along concrete drive, which becomes narrow footpath within a strip of woodland. Go R up steps, L across fields until reach track, where turn L and R onto access drive out to Rocks Lane
5. Turn R to main road (A26) where you go ahead and very soon turn L along drive to farm buildings (Bevingford) - here bear R through double gates and keep to R of field with narrow strip of woodland on R. In field corner with two gates go through gate on L and follow fence on R down to cross footbridge - go straight uphill over stile by telegraph pole and bear L with fence on L to lane
6. (with view ahead towards Buxted) - turn R and follow lane out to main road (A272). Cross main road R and L and follow drive into Buxted Park. Just beyond church turn L on path through churchyard - leave through gate on far side and bear L along wide grass path through parkland. Just before reaching house ahead
7. turn sharp R along path beside fallen trees or for short cut go straight ahead to main road (A272), where turn R and follow footway back to station. Pass between two lakes (with view on R of Buxted Park Mansion) and then turn L over 2 bridges. Cross pasture, go through gate with stream on R and follow path through copse until it bears L
8. and exits onto grass path - pass under railway bridge, bear L across fields and 3 squeeze stiles, out to lane
9. turn L on lane, and follow to main road, where you turn L to return to station.
Bus Information: 248, Uckfield to Heathfield, 4 buses a day, Mon-Fri 249, Uckfield to Hadlow Down, 1230hrs, Sat Phone traveline for further information 0870 6082 608
Train Information: Buxted Station on Uckfield to London line, hourly service. For further information phone 08457 484950
Car Park Information: Car park at Buxted Station
Guide: Free leaflet - Trails by Rail - a guide to 8 circular walks from train stations in the High Weald and South Downs.
Services: 2 pubs and shop in the village.