Biddenden Vineyards was founded by the current owners, the Barnes family, in 1969 and is the oldest commercial vineyard in Kent. An initial foray with one third of an acre of vines - to replace declining apple orchards - has now become a highly successful 23 acre vineyard producing award-winning white, red, rosé and sparkling English wines, as well as the famous Biddenden cider and pressed apple and pear juices.
Free, guided vineyard tours operate on selected Saturdays and Wednesdays throughout the year. They are a fantastic way of learning the story behind the vines and, especially in summer, require booking well in advance. With our warmer summers and increasing taste for wine, vineyards are becoming a much more common feature of the High Weald, as many landowners diversify from traditional horticulture and agriculture.
The Vineyard is just one mile from the beautiful village of Biddenden, which is well worth a visit. The High Street’s half-timbered houses were once used for cloth weaving and the 13th century church is built of local sandstone (known as Kentish ragstone), "Bethersden marble," and flint. The village has the intriguing legend of the “Biddenden Maids”: conjoined twins Mary and Eliza Chulkhurst, who were born in 1100 and survived an admirable 34 years. They left 20 acres of land to the poor people of the village, and the Biddenden Maids Charity still exists to this day.
Biddenden Vineyards is signed up to Our Land, a website that promotes businesses based in protected landscapes who have pledged to care for their local landscape and promote what is special about it.