The Weald Meadows Partnership & Services Advisor aims to give landowners practical support with the management of the last remaining fragments of wildflower grassland in the Weald. The following is on offer: :
- Grassland surveys to help identify grassland type (unimproved; semi-improved or improved) and wildlife value
- Advice on wildflower grassland management
- Site Management Plans
- Assistance with entry into Natural England (Defra) Environmental Stewardship Schemes
- Assistance with site grazing; identifying graziers, animals transport, sourcing grants for infrastructure such as fencing
- Advice on wildflower grassland enhancement and creation including site preparation, establishment and after care techniques
- Advice on sourcing plant plugs and wildflower and grass seed for enhancement and creation projects
- Assistance with marketing herb-rich hay
- Details of other contacts, including contractors, who may be able to help.
The project also co-ordinates the collection, processing and marketing of wildflower and grass seed from species-rich meadows. This activity ensures that their is a supply of Weald Native Origin Seed (WNOS) for use in enhancing species-poor grassland and creating new meadows. It also provides an income to site owners that can contribute towards the costs of traditional management.