Upper Rother & Dudwell Farm Cluster
A land managers' / farmers' group for the Upper Rother and Dudwell water catchment area has been set up to explore how landowners working together can improve the area's landscape. The Group currently has 40 members and includes a range of landowners, from larger commercial mixed farmers to small meadow owners.
The High Weald AONB Partnership is supporting the Group through:
- Running workshops with industry experts focusing on topical subjects of interest to group members.
- Running group meetings to share best practice within the group e.g. managing diffuse pollution, soil management, hedgerow management, meadow management.
- Providing advice to the group on applying for Countryside Stewardship mid, higher tier and capital grants schemes (all members of groups supported by the Facilitation Fund automatically qualify for a 20% uplift in their scores so substantially increasing chances of a successful application)
- Directing group members to other non-government grants e.g. Sussex Lund and the new water company-led grant programmes and assisting with applications.
- Liaison with other advisors and specialists to enable the group’s activities.
- Assistance with tackling issues that require co-operation across land holdings e.g. deer management.
The Group was launched in Autumn 2016 and will run until Summer 2021. Workshops so far have included:
- Healthy Soils Workshop - Autumn 2016
- Turtle Dove walks and talks - Autumn 2016/Winter 2017
- Farmland Bird ID - Winter 2017
- Wildflower grassland walk and talks including species identification workshop - Summer 2017
- Deer management - Autumn 2017
- Hedge management - March 2018
pdf Upper Rother Dudwell Group Area & Members Map - Apr 18 (7.41 MB)
pdf Upper Rother Non-native Invasive Species Survey (2.49 MB) pdf
pdf Upper Rother Dudwell Group News April 18 (1.09 MB)
pdf Upper Rother Dudwell Group News Dec 17 (1.08 MB)
pdf Upper Rother Dudwell Group News Jun 2017 (15.09 MB)
pdf Upper Rother Dudwell Group News March 2017 (4.61 MB)
pdf Upper Rother Dudwell Group News Dec 2016 (925 KB)
Further information on the Countryside Stewardship Facilitation Fund
Video - Presentation on Soil Life - What it is and what it can do for you
The Group has been set up with financial support from the Government’s Countryside Stewardship Facilitation Fund.