High Weald AONB Management Plan
The High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) is a special place. One of the best surviving medieval landscapes in northern Europe: home to amazing ancient woodland full of undiscovered archaeology; wonderful wildlife and welcoming villages; sweeping views and a myriad of interconnecting paths and tracks where you can walk in the footsteps of Anglo-Saxons, get close to nature and enjoy peace and tranquillity at the heart of the busy South East.
The High Weald AONB Management Plan is the single most important document for the AONB. It sets out long term objectives for conserving this nationally important landscape and the local authorities' ambitions for how the High Weald will be looked after for the next 5 years.
Local authorities with land in an AONB are legally obliged under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 to produce an AONB Management Plan, and the Plan is formally adopted by the relevant local authorities as their policy for the management of the AONB and how they carry out their functions in relation to it.
The Management Plan also has a wider role. It provides a means by which all public bodies can judge, and be judged on, their duty to have regard to conservation of the AONB, and it provides a guide for residents, businesses and visitors on the actions they can take to help safeguard this special area.
**Please note there is a printing error on pages 23, 31 and 59; reference to ‘dark landscape' should read ‘dark skies landscape’.
The Management Plan has been prepared by the High Weald Joint Advisory Committee which includes representatives of all 15 local authorities with land in the AONB and Government bodies responsible for protected landscapes in England. The Plan is reviewed every 5 years and each review of the Plan is accompanied by a formal public consultation process. During the review period evidence is collected to inform the review and a range of supporting documents, including the legally required Strategic Environmental Assessment and Appropriate Assessment, produced. The AONB Management Plan 2019- 2024 is supported by the following documents:
- High Weald MP 2019 Habitat Regulation Screening
- High Weald MP 2019 Equality Impact Assessment
- High Weald MP 2019 Monitoring Condition of the AONB and Performance of the AONB
- High Weald MP 2019 Consultation Report
- High Weald MP 2019 Strategic Environmental Assessment
- pdf High Weald MP 2019 Habitat Regulation Screening (3.42 MB)
- pdf HWMP Habitat Regulations Assessment Screening Matrix (338 KB)
- pdf High Weald MP 2019 Equality Impact Assessment (509 KB)
- pdf High Weald MP 2019 Monitoring Condition of the AONB and Performance of the AONB (1.16 MB)
- pdf High Weald MP 2019 Consultation Report (518 KB)
- pdf High Weald MP 2019 Strategic Environmental Assessment (684 KB)
- pdf High Weald MP 2019SEA Objective Assessment Table (647 KB)